





















Today is our 4th day in London and we are still getting adjusted to the time as well as our new surroundings.
We arrived safely on July 18th around 10am London time. Isaac did very well on the plane and slept most of the way. We had great seats and the British Airways staff was very accomodating and pleasant. They gave us a cot to put Isaac in which strapped onto a pull down tray. Although he was too big for it he did sleep in it for awhile. Aron and I only got about an hour of sleep so we were exhausted when we arrived. A driver picked us up at the airport and took us to our apartment. It's strange that even the locals (Our driver has lived just outside of London for 20 years) don't know their way around and rely on GPS.
We arrived at our apartment around 12 noon and settled in. Isaac took a nap and we did also. The past few nights I have had trouble keeping Isaac asleep. He's tired when I put him down, but he doesn't stay asleep in his bed. I think he's uncomfortable and unsure of the new surroundings. Hopefully it will get better.
Friday, the day we arrived, we did some quick grocery shopping at the Tesco on the corner. Very conveniently located. We also got a bite to eat the the pub on the corner. Our first fish and chip dinner of many. By 5pm Aron couldn't keep his eyes open and he went to bed. I stayed up with Isaac until 7pm and had a rough night with him. He was finally down for the night at 3am and woke up at 8am.
Saturday we intended to go to Church services bu were still so exhausted and we weren't exactly sure how to get there so we ended up staying home. That evening we walked around the neighborhood a bit and ate beef burgers at another pub. You can get really nice meals at the pubs. But we quickly learned that you go to the bar and place your order, pay, and THEN sit down. Our first night we just went in and sat down and finally someone came to ask if we wanted something to drink and informed us that at a pub you normally order at the bar. Now we know.
Sunday, July 20th we walked to St. James Underground Station and bought our Oyster cards. It allows you to travel without paying each time. They were 90 pounds each but will save us money in the long run and is much easier than paying each time. Aron will be using his to get to work each day. I don't know how often I will use mine because it is very hard to get around in the station. And very confusing also. There are very few lifts (elevators). It must be difficult to be handicapped in London.
We found Aron's work, which is near Liverpool St. We had an adventure getting back home on the Underground and had to get on and off the tube couple times before we found the right one. The stations are CRAZY! Very busy! People everywhere! I feel like I am constantly in the way when I am pushing the stroller. I feel like I'm the only one who has no idea where they are going. I probably am :) But that will get better.
So that is an update on first few days of our trip. I will post more regularly now that we are settled in. And pictures will be posted as well.

2 comments:
so glad you all made it safely and are adjusting. What an adventure, huh? But so exciting--we will miss you guys but we will see you in KC once in a while--
Love Angie, Phil and girls
Hi Heather,
This is Pauline Jersett from Church. I am sooo excited that you are sharing your trip. Bud and I stayed in that area for 7 days after the 2007 Feast,so many of your pictures and experiences are familiar. I am sure you are going to enjoy your few weeks there. Be sure to check the special exhibits at the museum and if there is something you want to see, buy your tickets ahead of time. Bud and I were very disappointed when we could not get in to one that we wanted to see very much. The time will go quickly so be sure to plan your days. I missed you at Church and now I know why.
Love, Pauline
Post a Comment