Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Where's the rubbish?

Something I have noticed is that there are hardly any rubbish bins (trash cans) anywhere out in public. With the lack of somewhere to put trash you'd think there would be lots of litter on the ground, but I haven't seen much of that either. So what do people do with their trash? They must not make much or hold on to it or maybe they are recycling it. There are quite a few recycling bins along the streets. I've probably seen more of them than rubbish bins. There are also public workers who go around picking up trash off the streets and sidewalks, but I've seen maybe one or two of those a day. Yesterday morning I was walking on the sidewalk and a man accidentally, or maybe purposefully but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, dropped a piece of wrapping from whatever he was opening and the man walking past him noticed it and informed him of his waste. The litterbug looked at his rubbish on the sidewalk and kept walking. The self-appointed litter police was thoroughly disgusted in his lack of concern and called him a not so nice name. Thankfully I'm not so sure if the litterbug even spoke English because he seemed quite oblivious to the name calling. Good thing. I'd hate to have to break up a fist fight on day 5.


5 comments:

fivestardays said...

Heather, I love reading about your adventures! Thanks for the updates! I hope the stuffy noses clear up soon and that you love every day of your time in London.

Anonymous said...

Hey you guys. I love the pictures. There are just so many beautiful areas in London. I enjoy reading your updates. I can't believe how big Issac is getting. He looks just like Aaron.

Unknown said...

Hey Heather. Nice Pics! Did you get to have tea of the Asquiths yet? (Watch out, they like to put butter on the ham sandwiches).

Unknown said...

[the previous post was not by Emma; I was just using her Google e-mail account and didn't realize it when I posted my blog. It's really Wayne, your old bro!]

Heather Gunn said...

Hey Wayne!! We haven't seen any Asquiths yet, but we're going to Diane and Tim's this Sunday. From what I remember they put butter on everything. How odd! And the name of our apartment just happens to be Asquith House! How ironic!
Hello the Jen and the girls.